Wedding & Bridal Trade Shows
These trade shows are a great way to get ideas and meet a lot of different vendors very quickly. If you are planning to attend a show in the near future, here are a few tips to help you:
- Pre-register. Most shows let you pre-register online. By doing this in advance, you’ll spend less time waiting to get into the show on the day and you’ll often save money on the admission fee.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Wedding shows are packed full of vendors and other guests, so you’ll be on your feet all afternoon in order to see everything.
- Bring a hefty tote bag. You’ll be handed business cards, flyers, brochures, info packets and more so it’s nice to have a bag that has comfortable handles and can hold a lot. The plastic bags you get at the show usually fill up quickly and aren’t much fun to carry.
- Consider bringing two bags instead of one. Inevitably, you’ll be handed stuff by vendors you don’t like or don’t need so it’s nice to be able to put their things into a “Toss” bag immediately. When given stuff by a vendor you really like and want to follow up with, put their things into a “Keep” bag. Throw the “Toss” bag away at the end of the day so all you take home with you are the “keepers!”
- Take notes. You’ll meet a lot of people at the show, so keep a notepad with you to take notes about which vendors you liked the best and why.
- Bring a bottle of water and a small snack. Many show venues have a snack bar, but they tend to have lines and can be a bit expensive.
- Preprint your own address labels. Many vendors will have prize drawings and other show specials, but you’re usually asked to register at the booth. Bringing pre-printed labels with your contact info and wedding date will speed up the process.
- Avoid high-pressure salespeople. The decisions you make for your wedding day should not be made on the spur of the moment. If you feel pressured at any point, walk away. This also applies to vendors that offer show specials valid for the day only. How can you make a decision after only meeting for a few minutes?
- Use fashion show time to get more time with vendors. When the fashion show starts, most of the show guests will find their way to the stage to watch. This is a great time to revisit vendors that you liked, as they’ll have more time to spend with you.
- Ask questions. This is what you’re here for! Find out what’s included in the package, are they available on your date, do they have any suggestions?
- Don’t waste your time. If you’ve already booked a vendor (florist, venue, etc), don’t waste your time looking at those vendor categories again.